image

Safety in the Kitchen

 

The Landis Fire Department wants you to know about Cooking Fire Safety. Each year in North America, kitchen fires kill hundreds of people and injure thousands. Simply following the basic fire-safety tips listed below can prevent most of these fires.

Don't leave cooking unattended: Stay in the kitchen whenever anything is cooking, and never leave food cooking on your stove or in your oven when you leave home. Turn off stoves and appliances promptly when you're finished using them, and unplug electrical appliances when they are not in use.

Keep appliances clean: Built-up grease catches fire easily. Wipe appliance surfaces after spills and clean stove surfaces and ovens regularly.

Be alert: Studies show that 43 percent of the people who've died in cooking fires were asleep. Do not attempt to cook if you have been drinking alcohol or are drowsy.

Wear close-fitting sleeves: Loose sleeves can dangle too close to hot stove burners and catch fire.

Protect yourself by wearing sleeves that fit snugly or rolling up your sleeves securely when you cook. Don't store things on or above your stove. Clothing can catch fire easily when you lean over burners to reach shelves.

Keep flammable objects clear of the stove: Pot holders, dishtowels, and curtains catch fire easily. Keep such items a safe distance from your stove.

Don't overload electrical outlets: Plugging too many kitchen appliances - especially heat-producing

appliances such as toasters, coffeepots, waffle irons, or electric frying pans - into the same electrical outlet or circuit could overload your circuit, overheat, or cause a fire. Keep heat-producing appliances out from under cabinets and away from walls or curtains. Replace any frayed or cracked electrical cord immediately.

Never use an appliance cord with a cracked, loose, or damaged plug. Keep your home's fuses or circuit breakers in good working order. If an electrical appliance gets wet inside, have it serviced before using it again.

Microwave safety: Microwave ovens stay cool, but what's cooked in them can be very hot. Use pot holders when removing food from microwave ovens. Remove lids from packaged microwave foods carefully to prevent steam burns, and test food temperature before eating. If anything catches fire inside your microwave, keep the door closed and turn off or unplug your microwave. Opening the door will only feed oxygen to the fire. Do not use the oven again until it is serviced.

Turn pot handles in: A pot handle sticking out over the edge of your stove can be bumped in passing or

grabbed by a child. Prevent burns and stovetop fires by always turning pot handles in toward the back of the stove.

Heat oil slowly: Heat oils slowly over moderate heat and never leave hot oil unattended

Smother a grease fire: Never pour water on a cooking fire. If a pan of food catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off your stove burner. If a fire starts in your oven, close the oven door and turn off the heat source. If the flames do not go out immediately, call the fire department at 911.